The Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa (FPASA) was established in 1973 to provide a specialized fire safety management technical and training service to industry, commerce and society at large.
Over the years the Association has developed a range of membership options and technical, training and fire safety management services that are recognized for their quality, professionalism and value.
Today the role of the FPASA covers Education, Information, Advice, Consultancy and Training (Fire College).
The Fire College is a professional training centre dedicated to assist in the reduction of life and property losses in the Southern African region. It provides training on request of FPASA members and non-members alike, and in addition provides standard training programmes to suit the broad spectrum of industrial, commercial, institutional and local authority requirements.
The Technical division includes the Library which offers a range of fire safety management consulting services to members and clients as well as short term insurer specific services as Part of the FPASA’s Insurer Fire Impact Reduction Strategy (InFIRes) initiative.
The Administration and membership services section of the FPASA provides administration support to the Fire College and Technical Division. It also provides member promotion/support and publications sales.
Our categories of membership will add value to any institution or business having an interest or involvement in fire engineering, fire protection, fire prevention or fire safety management.
Our commitment to continual improvement through our SABS ISO 9001:2015 listed quality management system means that the services we offer are reviewed regularly in terms of our objectives and the needs of our members and clients. A copy of our quality policy is included in the corporate polices section of this web site.
The organization enjoys extensive accreditation and approval including:
- ISO 9001 listing for the quality management system;
- LGSETA ETQA accreditation/ approval for most training courses;
- SABS 1475 accredited fire equipment workshop;
- IFE (UK) approval for the Fire Investigation course; and
- SAQCC (Fire) accreditation for the fire appliance reconditioning course.
In spite of our status as a Section 21 company (Association not for Gain) without ownership or shareholding, the FPASA has a formal BEE and employment equity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. We currently enjoy a BEE Level 4 status.
Premises and facilities
The FPASA operates from bespoke premises at 105 Springbok Road, Bartlett, Boksburg; a site over 2 hectares in size owned wholly by the Association and consisting of;
- An administration block - accommodating the main reception area, fire safety library, board room with fire museum, offices and ablution facilities;
- A fire college building - with three lecture rooms, fire museum/memorabilia display area, the kitchen, offices, ablution facilities and an outside entertainment area;
- A fire house area - with technical workshops and indoor live fire facility; and
- A large outdoor fire facility - including fire installation demonstration rigs, drill tower and lawned area for hose drills.