Excellence in all we do.
FPASA Fire Magazine
March 2018 FPASA FIRE Magazine
Join the FPASA as a member and you will receive these magazines quarterly.
It is jam packed with the latest fire industry news. Stay connected to The FPASA to remain in the know!
Moshema Mosia (FPASA) talks on Fire Safety
Fire Protection Journal
FPASA Members, our 1st quarter Fire Protection Journal is now available for download.
Please login to access it now.
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa POPI Notice
Who we are
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa gather and process your personal information in accordance with this notice and in compliance with the relevant Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act). This notice provides you with the necessary information regarding your rights and our obligations, and explains how, why and when we process your personal information.
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa’s registered office is at 105 Springbok Road, Bartlett, Boksburg and we are a company registered in South Africa under company registration number 1973/000022/08. Our designated appointed person is Christine van der Westhuizen, who can be contacted at the above address or via e-mail:
Information that we collect
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa processes your personal information to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations and to provide you with our products and services. We will never collect any unnecessary personal information from you and do not process your information in any way, other than as specified in this notice.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
The personal information that we collect may include:-
- Date of Birth
- Identity Number
- Home Address
- Work Address
- Business & Personal Email
- Mobile and Work number
- Passport Number
- Special Category Data (i.e. health/medical information, details about religion, sexuality etc)
We collect information in the below ways:-
- Booking/Enrolment Forms
- Employment CV’s
- Via Telephone, Fax and e-mail
- Course Registers
- Customer Feedback Forms
- Membership Forms
- Reports for Fire Advisory work done
- CPD or SETA forms for accreditation
- Vendor/Tendor Forms
- NDA or MOU
- Portfolio of Evidence
- COVID-19 Screening
- CFPA Enrolment Forms
How we use your Personal information
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa takes your privacy very seriously and will never disclose or share your information without your consent, unless required to do so by law. We only retain your information for as long as is necessary and for the purpose(s) specified in this notice. Where you have consented to us providing you with promotional offers and marketing, you are free to withdraw this consent at any time. The purposes and reasons for processing your personal information are detailed below: -
- We collect your personal information in the performance of a contract or to provide a service and to ensure that services is delivered to you.
- We collect and store your personal information as part of our legal obligation for business accounting and tax purposes.
- We will occasionally send you marketing information or newsletters that can be beneficial to you as a customer or for your interest.
- To communicate requested information to the customer
- To provide the customer with restricted pages on this website.
- We collect and submit your details to LGSETA’s database for NQF accredited courses.
- We collect and submit your details for IISA CPD points to IISA.
- We collect and submit your details to The Confederation of Fire Protection Associations Europe (CFPA) for your enrolment to the Technical and Management Cycle Diploma as well as Principles of Fire Safety Engineering Course.
We need to disclose personal data to some of our employees that require the personal data to do their jobs. These include our responsible management, human resources, accounting, audit, compliance, information technology, or other personnel. All employees sign a confidentiality agreement.
Correction of personal information
You may request to update or correct any of your personal information held by FPASA, to do so please send an e-mail to
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
- Our website is hosted on our internal server, this is protected by SSL certificates, which help web browsers to verify whether the website is genuine.
- Our network is protected with a firewall (Kerio). It has intrusion protection and Limit website access. This logs down all necessary communication in and out.
- Each employee’s laptop/computer and our server have antivirus/malware installed.
- Remote access into the network is controlled by a VPN. This establishes a secure tunnel between the user and the FPASA network, ensuring that any data that passed through this tunnel is protected from potential eavesdropping.
- All workstations sync to the server and backups are encrypted and done on a daily basis.
- Accounts are secured with a complex password.
- Access to information on the server is controlled and only certain employees have access to certain information to ensure they can perform their duties.
- In case of a breach, our IT department has different procedures in place depending on the severity and origin. We will be notified immediately and the necessary actions will be taken.
You have the right to access any personal information that Fire Protection Association of Southern
Africa processes about you and to request information about:- • The personal information we hold of you.
- The purposes of the processing of your information.
- The categories of personal information concerned
- The recipients to whom the personal information has/will be disclosed
- How long we intend to store your personal information
- If we did not collect the information directly from you, information about the source
If you believe that we hold any incomplete or inaccurate information about you, you have the right to ask us to correct and/or complete the information and we will strive to do so as quickly as possible; unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, at which point you will be notified.
You also have the right to request erasure of your personal information or to restrict processing (where applicable) in accordance with the POPI Act; as well as to object to any direct marketing from us. Where applicable, you have the right to information portability and the right to be informed about any automated decision-making we may use.
If we receive a request from you to exercise any of the above rights, we may ask you to verify your identity before acting on the request; this is to ensure that your information is protected and kept secure.
Sharing and Disclosing your Personal Information
We do not share or disclose any of your personal information without your consent, other than for the purposes specified in this notice or where there is a legal requirement.
If you consent to us contacting you with the above-mentioned marketing and offers, please tick to say how you would like to be contacted: -
Post Yes No Email Yes No
Telephone Yes No Text Message (SMS) Yes No
Legitimate interest example
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa will occasionally send you products and services that we provide by e-mail/sms/post that have been identified as being beneficial to our customers and in our interests. Such information will be relevant to you as a customer and is non-intrusive and you will always have the option to opt-out/unsubscribe at any time.
If you would prefer not to receive above-mentioned marketing and offers, please tick below:-
I wish to opt-out of marketing
Lodging a Complaint
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa only processes your personal information in compliance with this notice and in accordance with the relevant laws. However, if you wish to raise a complaint regarding the processing of your personal information or are unsatisfied with how we have handled your information, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
Christine van der Westhuizen
Audit, Risk & Compliance Manager
Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa 105 Springbok Road, Bartlett, Boksburg
Adv. Pansy Tlakula
Information Regulator 329 Thabo Sehume Street