FPASA is the Voluntary Association (VA) for the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP). “Fire Origin and Cause Investigation” is a gazetted field of practice under which Fire Investigators may register. The FPASA has been the conduit in establishing the application and registration process with SACNASP. SACNASP is now open to receiving and considering applications for registration as a Professional Fire Investigator in SA, pending a review of a submitted portfolio of evidence and a panel interview. The current members of the Professional Advisory Committee (technical review panel) are Professor Asante of the Tshwane University of Technology (Chair), as well as Andre de Beer, CEO of Hexagon Fire.
The process to be followed for registrations is explained on the SACNASP website
- Assess the level of science in their qualification and their eligibility for registration (executed by the elected technical review panel);
- Apply online;
- Pay online;
- Print Certificate once registered;
- Check outstanding balance;
- Change contact details;
- Upload new documents; and
- Upgrade if qualified to do so.
Applications through the online system take between 3 - 4 months to finalise,
Professional Regulatory body for Fire Investigators in SA
- It is important that employers understand that the gazetting of Fire Origin and Cause Investigation Science means that there are legal implications for employing unregistered scientists.
- SACNASP is an insurance for the employee or employer in the event of something going amiss. If in the unlikely event of a charge being laid against a registered scientist, then SACNASP will investigate on their behalf at no cost to the scientist.
Attached are 2 guidance documents issued by SACNASP on the scientific registration process:
- Guidance document 1: Education, qualifications, knowledge, and skills component; and
- Guidance document 2: Registration levels and criteria.
SACNASP contact email:
SACNASP registration details: